Almost here

Almost here

Thursday, April 3, 2014

Cabbage Patch Rant For Letter 'C' of the A-Z Challenge

In honor of Throw Back Thursday on Facebook I asked for a retro words starting with the letter “C” for the A-Z challenge. Cabbage Patch Kids is what I ended up with.

I never owned a Cabbage Patch Kid and I don’t think it was a toy I ever asked for. Although I do recall liking the way they smelled-- a strange combination of baby powder and plastic. I was mostly fascinated with the adoption certificate they came with. It was like opening a box of Cracker Jacks (another “C” retro word by the way) because you didn’t know what you would get. Would his name be Ramsey Linus or her name Petunia Lindsey? These are real names I found on eBay. Cabbage Patch Kids were both cute and creepy at the same time.

The early 80’s craze they inspired was everywhere; from television commercials to the big prize on the wheel at the Seaside Boardwalk right next to the game where you won cigarettes. I only won the cigarettes.


The more I think about it the more I think I dislike Cabbage Patch Kids. If nothing else they initiated the holiday toy frenzy that continues today. Ever since their introduction parents everywhere have felt the need to fulfill the coveted ‘toy of the year’ for their kid by December 25th making Cabbage Patch Kids the start of a very bad trend.

9 comments:

  1. I had a couple of Cabbage Patch Kids growing up. The older I got, the more creepy I thought they looked.

    -L.G. Keltner, minion in Captain Alex's Ninja Army
    http://lgkeltner.blogspot.com/
    http://warpednerdiversity.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't like cabbage patch dolls either. I like your picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a home made one, but it still came with a birth certificate. I still have it, at my parent's house. They were a little strange to look at, now that I think about it!

    Happy A to Z!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My aunt made me a Cabbage Patch doll, LOL! I never really 'got' them either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know I think you are right-- they seemed to be the beginning of the toy frenzy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had a cabbage patch kid and my mum has still got both mine and my sister's in the loft. I did hear that one went on ebay the other day for about £1000 so whilst, now we are older they are not that likeable they might be worth a bit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My eldest son had a particularly evil looking one he called "Teacher". Now if that's not creepy I don't know what is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes! It's like the clown doll in the movie Poltergeist...

      Delete