Almost here

Almost here

Friday, April 25, 2014

U is for why Underdog never made it on Underoos

I asked for a retro word that began with the letter U in keeping with Throwback Thursday on Facebook.

The first word I got was Underdog, but that was preceded by numerous submissions for Underoos so I felt the need to talk about them both.

First off, I discovered Underdog never appeared on Underoos. Bummer for Underdog as Underoos were crazy popular in the late 70’s and early 80’s. Here are just some of the characters that adorned Underoos during that time:

Daisy Duke of Dukes of Hazzard Fame (and you thought they were only shorts)
Pac-Man (sounds like these might have caused some nightmares about them chomping away down there)
The Hulk (I think my husband would like these now)
Aquaman (a classic superhero for Underoos, but only meh in my opinion)
C3PO, R2D2 & ET (looks like I’m texting right?)

I guess Underdog didn’t have a chance for Underoos fame as by the early 70’s he was done and rarely played on the air. In fact, I had him and Hong Kong Phooey totally confused. After all they were both blue-collar working dogs– Underdog, a shoeshine worker and Hong Kong Phooey, a janitor. They stick on a mask and cape and become a super dog. In fact there was a connection between them. I discovered W. Watts Biggers one of the co-creators of Underdog co-created the theme song for Hong Kong Phooey.  Alas, I don’t recall ever seeing Hong Kung Phooey Underoos either. A missed an opportunity for Underoos I think.

The real reason I think Underdog may have been kept from Underoos fame is that he was a druggie. Seriously, he would pop an Underdog Super Energy Pill for strength when he was feeling weak, which he kept in a special ring he always wore. As of 1970’s the pill popping was deleted from the cartoon, as they didn’t want to encourage kids to take drugs. Who knew Underdog was the original junkie.

So even though Underdog proclaimed, “There’s no need to fear, Underdog is here”  - he didn’t mean on your Underoos.


No comments:

Post a Comment